Posted by Doug Root on 13th Jan 2016

The Differences Between Protected & Standard Metal Halide Lamps

Have you ever wondered why protected metal halide lamps haven’t replaced the standard version? Well, the answer is fairly easy. The standard types of metal halide lamps have been around for decades and have been used in floodlights, wall packs, and commercial indoor recessed lights.

As the popularity of metal halide lamps grew in the commercial building markets, the demand for "MP" lamps skyrocketed and the price point went up a bit due to the extra components. At that point, two types of lamps became available in the marketplace.

What Do the Lamp Part Numbers Mean?

In lamp part number MP175/U/MED/IC, MP means metal halide protected and 175 refers to the wattage. The MP function refers to the size of the neck on the lamp. And the U means Universal, so it can be burned at any operating position. The manufacturers create the lamps and the sockets for MP or open rated fixtures to work together. IC means Industrial-Commercial rated.

In the Sylvania part number MP175/BU-ONLY/MED, BU means that the lamp can only be burned "base up". ONLY means that it really can only be burned "base up", so be certain of the orientation of your fixtures when considering lamps from this line. MED means E26 medium base.

For MH175/U/MED/IC, MH means metal halide, 175 refers to the wattage, and U means that the lamp can be burned "universally". So you can burn this lamp base up, base down, or horizontal. In this code, the IC is Prolume's internal code for Industrial-Commercial rated.

Protected Metal Halide vs Standard Metal Halide

The different types of metal halide lamps are great for different things. If you want to be safe, always purchase the MP, the protected version. They cost a little more, but you can rest assured they will always work.

If you have questions, or to learn more about our types of metal halide lamps, give us a call a 1-888-988-2852 today.